Going the extra mile to support the sustainable growth and development of food and agribusinesses.
The agribusiness and food sector faces both unique challenges and opportunities – from increased demand for food and adoption of data and technology, to ever-adapting industry changes and a complicated web of regulatory and political pressures. We understand these realities and are here to support our clients, some of which are multi-generational family businesses, through the good times and the bad.
Our agribusiness expertise has grown organically over time as we have collaborated with South Australian businesses in the areas of horticulture, wine, liquor, fishing, retail, food and beverage, assisting them with their day-to-day legal needs. We go the extra mile to understand our clients, and provide them with tailored technical and practical advice in relation to all aspects of their businesses and supply chains.
- Property transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions, including ACCC clearance for significant transactions
- Grape supply agreements
- Contract winemaking and distillation agreements
- Wind farm agreements
- Fishing and aquaculture
- Horticulture and agriculture
- Horticulture Code and Competition and Consumer Law compliance
- Supply chain agreements including produce supply, packing and transport
- Food safety legislation, statutory and industry code compliance
- Licensing and enforcement of Plant Breeders’ Rights (PBR’s)
- Food packaging, labelling, promotional and nutritional claim issues
- Water licences
- Liquor licenses
- EPA licences
- Workplace, industrial and health and safety issues
- Dispute resolution
- We facilitated the sale of major South Australian wineries, vineyards and wine brands to local and international buyers including private groups and listed companies.
- Australia’s largest fresh potato business sought our expertise when acquiring another significant fresh potato business, including obtaining ACCC clearance for the transaction.
- We acted for a major horticultural producer in proceedings brought by the ACCC alleging non-compliance with the Code and use of unfair contract terms. We successfully mediated settlement, minimising penalties, and reputational damage.
- Numerous wildcatch and aquaculture businesses and industry associations have engaged our services regarding regulatory, transactional and mergers and acquisitions work.
- We have facilitated the sale and purchase of supermarkets and advised on associated agency agreements with major supermarkets brands.